February 9, 2011 · story By SPACECOASTMEDICINE.COM
BREVARD COUNTY, FLORIDA (Feb. 9, 2011) – Over the last 15 years the Brevard Indian Medical and Dental Association (BIMDA) has become one of the leading organizations of its kind in Central Florida.
The medical society was formed in 1996 by Dr. Mahesh Soni and Glad Kurian who shared a love of music and a vision for a networking medical society.
Kurian, the Executive Director and impresario of BIMDA, welcomes Brevard County’s medical and business community to attend BIMDA’s many events.
“We put a lot of time and effort into our BIMDA programs and events and are honored to have such a diverse group of people that attend our functions,” said Kurian.
“We feel a part of this community and we will continue to grow and improve our organization.”
In the early years, Kurian’s enthusiasm for helping BIMDA grow was fueled by attending the 1997 AAPI Convention in Orlando.
BIMDA 2011 LEADERSHIP TEAM:
Left to right seated: Dr. Homi Cooper, Dr. Mahesh Soni, Dr. Sudeshna Mitra, Dr. N. Rao Kopuri, Dr. Subhash Rege.
Glad Kurian, Dr. Ashok Shah, Dr. Jashbhai Patel, Current BIMDA President Dr. Prakash Reddy, Dr. Gobi Balaji, Naren Shah, Dr. Abdul Karim.
Dr. Ravi Shankar, Secretary; Dr. Mukesh Aggarwal, Past President; and Dr. Manhar Shah, Engineering Services.
In 1999, Dr. Soni became the first President of BIMDA. Between 1996 and 1999, Glad Kurian and Dr. Soni traveled extensively throughout Florida to network with other medical associations. That created a constant exchange of networking visitors between Tampa, Orlando, Ocala, Port St. Lucie, Ft. Lauderdale and Melbourne – and allowed BIMDA to lead the way for such organizations in Florida.
In 2001, Dr. Kiran Modi, a cardiologist from Titusville, Florida, served as president, followed by Dr. Nikhita Dhruv, an Endocrinologist with Medical Associates of Brevard, who served as President in 2001.
- In 2002, BIMDA hosted its first medical expo at the Radisson at the Port, an idea which was hatched from a trip made by Kurian to a medical expo in Ocala, and became reality after much support and encouragement from Dr Soni, Dr. Mukesh Aggarwal and Dr. Kantilal Bhalani.
- In 2003, BIMDA continued to strengthen its regional impact by playing a pivotal role in the organization and support of the American Association of Physicians of Indian Origin convention in Orlando. Dr. Aggarwal served as the BIMDA president in 2003 (as well as a co-chair for the AAPI Convention) and Kurian handled the public relations for the convention. Dr. Aggarwal’s involvement in BIMDA was key to the growth of the society as his office staff served as the backbone of BIMDA’s administration from 2002 until the end of 2004.
- In 2004, Dr. Homi Cooper became president, and led the organization as it received national notoriety for its impressive body of work.
- In 2005, Dr. Abdul Karim, a cardiologist from Rockledge, became president of BIMDA, and the organization successfully raised significant funds for local charities.
- In 2006, Dr. Ashok Shah, an Internist from Titusville, became president of BIMDA, and the organization had significant growth in support from a diverse group of pharmaceutical and medical service companies.
- In 2007, BIMDA hosted the UCF Medical School Dean, Deborah German, on her first visit to Melbourne, and Dr. Ravi Palaniyandi, a cardiologist from Port St. John, became the President of the organization.
- In 2008, Dr. Sumant Pandya, the director of pathology for Wuesthoff, became the BIMDA President. The annual BIMDA gala at the Hilton that year will be best remembered for something that Dr. Pandya introduced for entertainment – a full marching Irish Band in Grand Regalia.
- In 2009, Dr. Sue Mitra, an internist with Medical Associates of Brevard, became BIMDA’s President during which BIMDA adopted United Way of Brevard as its main charitable organization.
- In 2010, under the leadership of President Dr. Jashbhai Patel, BIMDA’s CME Program featured world renowned Cardiologist Dr. Navin Nanda and hosted FIT President Catanese as its Keynote Speaker at its annual Gala – complete with authentic Brazilian dancers.
- Dr. Patel, a surgeon with MIMA, is widely recognized as one of the senior most physician leaders in the entire Indian-American community in Brevard County. A highly respected surgeon, Dr Patel’s discipline and tenacity are formidable qualities that are leading BIMDA to its finest year since its inception.
This year, BIMDA is led by Dr. Prakash Reddy, a pulmonary and critical care specialist with MIMA, and is joined by board members Dr. Gobi Balaji an internist in Melbourne, Dr. N. Rao Kopuri, an orthodontist from Merritt Island (vice president), Dr. Ravi Shankar, a radiation oncologist with Cancer Care Centers of Brevard (secretary) and Dr. Subhash Rege from the Palm Bay Dental Center.
Over the years BIMDA has financially helped many worthy organizations including the Cancer Care Centers of Brevard Foundation, the American Cancer Society, Daily Bread, Earthquake Relief in Gujarat India and all of the area’s hospital foundations. Dr. Mitra enjoyed a very productive year as president and recruited fresh new talent to the BIMDA leadership team including Dr. Prakash Reddy – the president of BIMDA for 2011 and Dr. Gobi Balaji, the president-elect for 2012.