Glad Kurian and Dr. Aparna Kopuri, Brevard Indo-American Medical & Dental Association 2:25 p.m. ET March 16, 2017
The Brevard Indo-American Medical & Dental Association hosted a unique new conference on March 4. BIMDA aptly called this "The Business of Medicine Conference".
Dr. Maria Stahl, Administrator and Health Officer with The Florida Department of Health hosted the group at The Posey Conference Center, a state-of-the-art facility at it's Brevard County Health building in Viera.
- The event was attended by close to 125 physicians and medical group leaders.
- There were presenters on a variety of topics that covered:
- The State of Healthcare and the Future Role of Technology presented by Dr. Saji Salam, Healthcare Consultant
- Understanding Medicare Payment Reform with MACRA: Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act of 2015 presented by Dr. Bairav Kuppuswamy with Right Angle Solutions Healthcare Consultants
- Healthcare Law presented by John Kancilia, Attorney with Gray Robinson
- Employment Law in Healthcare presented by Alec Russell, Attorney with Gray Robinson
- Estates & Asset Protection presented by Erik Shuman, Attorney with Gray Robinson
- Why join an Affordable Care Organization? Presented by Dr. Jay Chowdappa, Space Coast ACO
- Prevention of Medical Errors presented by Dr. Arnold Mackles
Nandini Patel, BIMDA's Spouse's Auxiliary Chair, managed the hospitality and logistics for the event.Manhar Shah, PhD, managed the audio-visual and technology needs for the conference.
The event offered attendees six hours of Continuing Medical Education credits, managed by Dr. Mahesh Soni in collaboration with HRMC CME Committee at Health First.
Dr. Aparna Kopuri
It makes us proud that we have so much volunteer talent at BIMDA. It was a fun day of learning.
Here is some feedback from conference attendees:
"The business of medicine was a great success. I was amazed that we could swing it. The topics were appropriate and the speakers were very knowledgeable and very simple in their explanations. The breakfast, lunch and breaks were great! It is a feather in BIMDA's hat. Maybe later on we should think about a seminar on running an efficient and successful practice these days as all the doctors are inundated with rules and regulations, shrinking reimbursement along with ever increasing costs of doing business." - Dr. Mukesh Aggarwal, a senior member and past president of BIMDA
"Many thanks for your invitation, indeed it was very helpful. I drove from Orlando and it was worth the drive, will attend in future for sure!" - Dr. MH Bawany, internal medicine, Orlando.
"Business of Medicine Conference was a grand and successful event. The attendance was good because the topics were excellent and in tune with physicians needs." - Dr. Aravind Kumar, BIMDA's immediate past president.
Looking forward, the BIMDA leaders are planning to include the Business of Medicine concept as an annual offering perhaps in conjunction with one of its regular conferences or as a stand alone event. Future topics may include: practice management, legislative affairs in healthcare policy, telemedicine, trends in hospital employment and private practice physicians; the role of primary care physicians, surgeons and specialists; Affordable Care Organizations, MACRA, MIPS and more.
Dr. Aparna Kopuri is Brevard County's first Child & Adolescent Psychiatrist in practice, currently works with Circles of Care in Melbourne. Kopuri is chairman and president of BIMDA, and married to Dr. N. Rao Kopuri, past-president of BIMDA and orthodontist with Central Florida Orthodontic Specialists. They live in Satellite Beach.
Glad Kurian and BIMDA are winners of FLORIDA TODAY's 2012 "'Best Organization of the Year" title at its annual Volunteer Recognition Awards ceremony. BIMDA is a not-for-profit professional membership association founded in 1999, dedicated to medical education for physicians and dentists. Kurian serves in a voluntary role as a founding member and Honorary Executive Director.